I had the best idea! It worked! I made a great card to show it off! Then, I got on Pinterest and found that I wasn't the only one to have this idea. I saw at least two other samples. So I guess my idea is crafter's common sense when you are trying to think about chicken wire for the chicks in the new Sale-a-Bration set Hey, Chick. So, here is my card.
And, here is the idea. Take the Hexagon Dynamic Textured Impressions Embossing Folder. Open your Early Espresso stamp pad and turn it upside down. Stamp with the pad directly onto the inside of the top layer of the folder. You can also use the old hard rubber brayer we used to have. Lay your paper down carefully on the ink. Close the folder and then just press down all over with your hands. The embossing folder becomes a stamp. Clean up is easy. Just hold the folder under the faucet and the ink flows right off. Allow to dry. Easy peasy and it does look like chicken wire. Printing might be a little erractic but that's OK.
Here's the rest of the details.
- The card base is 5 1/2 x 8 1/2, scored at 4 1/4, and folded. Use Early Espresso.
- The Cherry Cobbler layer is 3 3/4 x 5. Before you adhere it cut the scalloped oval and the balloon from the inside. The scalloped oval is from the Layering Ovals framelits and the balloon is from the Balloon Pop-up thinlits.
- The Crumb Cake layer is 3 1/2 x 4 3/4. Do the chicken wire technique described above.
- Stamp the chicken on Whisper White using Early Espresso. Stamp another one on a scrap piece of paper so that you get the wing. I used the Watercolor Pencils in brown and red to color in the chick. Use a blender pen when you want to smooth everything out. I did end up using some of the Cherry Cobbler ink from the lid of the pad to make the colors match better. Color the extra wing, too and cut it out.
- Cut the chick out with the Stitched Shapes framelits.
- Use the Balloon Bouquet punch and punch out the large one in Early Espresso. Adhere the red balloon to the espresso base. I used the Cherry Cobbler thread from the Baker's Twine Trio Pack for the balloon string. It's on the Yearly Close Out Sale now.
- Adhere the wing at the top over the existing wing. Put a glue dot on the string and adhere under the wing.
- The sentiment is from the set Hey, Chick. I put it on a 3/4 strip of Whisper White, notched the ends, and stuck it under the wing.
- Use a Pumpkin Pie marker for the beak and feet.
I love how this card turned out. We'll be making this at my January card class. Here's the inside.
Print the chicken wire on the white card stock as discussed above. The sentiment was from the Cool Treats stamp set, stamped on white and cut using the Stitched Shapes framelits.
I love this chicken and I love that she is holding a balloon. Why not! Thanks for coming by today!