Watercolor seems to be very popular these days. You need to practice. That's one thing I have learned. Another is that there is no right or wrong. You need to like what you make. That's all. I like my card for today! I wanted to make a card for the Global Design Project #031. The theme is nature.
I wanted to use the wren from the stamp set An Open Heart and the fern from Butterfly Basics. It snowballed from there. I ended up using bits and pieces from 5 different stamp sets. Here is the card.
Here are the details.
- Begin with a card base of Mossy Meadow 5 1/2 x 8 1/2, scored at 4 1/4.
- Cut a layer of Soft Sky 3 3/4 x 5.
- Cut a layer of Shimmery White cardstock at 3 5/8 x 4 7/8. This type of cardstock is great to use for watercolor and it also sparkles!
- I used the large fern from Butterfly Basics and the small fern from the stamp set Awesomely Artistic. I used the colors Pear Pizzazz, Old Olive, and Mossy Meadow. I'm not sure how to tell you to stamp the ferns. I started with Pear Pizzazz, inked the stamp, and sprayed water onto the stamp with the Stampin' Spritzer and stamped onto the cardstock. I inked in Mossy Meadow and stamped on top of the wet pizzazz and stamped again in places without reinking. In other words, I played around. This is not my first attempt. I added in some of the smaller ferns, spritzing some.
- I inked the feet of the bird with Staz-on and stamped on the front of the card.
- I stamped the wren in Staz-on on more of the Shimmery White and colored it in using the Aqua Painters. I used Crumb Cake and Early Espresso. I cut out the wren just cutting off the feet since I had already stamped them. I adhered the wren with dimensionals.
- For the ground, I used the Aqua Painter and Pear Pizzazz for the base. I added in grass using the stamp from Sheltering Tree. Some are stamped straight on the paper and others are stamped without reinking the stamp. I did a little outline with Mossy Meadow across the top of the grass and softened it a little with water.
- I added a light coat of Soft Sky with the Aqua Painter. Be careful because it will run when you brush the ferns. I think a little is OK. Mine ran a little. That's how I know to tell you to be careful!
- The sentiment, stamped in Mossy Meadow, is from the Watercolor Wings stamp set.
On one of my practice tries, I had a couple ferns that I liked. I cut those out for the inside. This sentiment is also from the Watercolor Wings set.
I'm proud of my card. It makes me happy. What about you? Are you ready to try your hand at watercolor? See the supplies below if you need to order.
Thanks so much for checking out my blog today. I hope to see you on Monday!